Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Crime

My mind has spent a lot of time thinking about crime in the past several months. If you live in Jacksonville you know it's unfortunately not unfamiliar to hear about shootings & murders, burglaries, robberies, etc. nearly everyday when you read or watch the news. Still, it's easy to become desensitized unless and until you or someone you know becomes a victim of crime.

My parents' house was broken into before Christmas. The burglars (2 suspected) beat right through the front door. The same thing happened to a guy a work and last year one of the units in our neighborhood was also broken into (via the window). Sunday morning when Troy came home from work he noticed a vehicle had been broken into near the entrance of our neighborhood. The burglars cut through the convertible top and took what they wanted and left the rest of the belongings strung about in the driveway and yard.

I've never understood what compels one to take something that isn't theirs much less how someone can harm another human being. I've heard comments recently that the bad economy is leading people to commit crime, and even in Troy's formal training they teach that people commit crime when their basic needs aren't being met. I'm all for academic and social understandings, but really, the only logical thing it boils down to for me is that people who commit these types of crime have no regard for others. They don't think the same way people who don't commit crimes do. I know that sounds obvious enough as you read the two statements, but for those who have never and could never fathom doing such things, the lack of understanding of how these people can steal, rob and harm others is just so darn frustrating.

It makes me sad that my kids will grow up in a place like this. I've said aloud to a few people recently that I'd like to move to place where there is less crime, and it's puzzled me that the response is always the same - "It's everywhere, not just here." That response bothers me more than the people who say it know. Not because I don't half believe they are right, but more because it's sad to m that we're all settling for a crime-ridden quality (or lack of) of life.

So, in all my conversions with myself in my head about the above, I decided to do a little research. In 2008 Florida was ranked the 9th most dangerous state with regards to crime overall, and 5th for assault and burglary. Where are the safest places to live? Well, my fellow Floridians, it seems we'll have to decide whether the forecast or crime is more important in our formula for quality of life as the states with less crime are also the most cold places to live! I guess criminals don't like to carry their loot in the snow (they're also states with less population). See the list below:

10 most dangerous states: Nevada, Louisiana, New Mexico, South Carolina, Arizona, Tennessee, Maryland, Alaska, Florida, Michigan.

10 safest states: New Hampshire, Maine, North Dakota, Vermont, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Iowa, Idaho, Wisconsin.

2 comments:

Sunshinejr said...

intersting blog you wrote there, but right on... i agree with you totally. Love yea and you guys are in our prayers

The Bobblehead Report said...

It's interesting what you found about colder states having lower crime rates...when I was little and it stormed I was always afraid of burglars and my dad told me one time that on a stormy night burglars are not going to be out b/c they are lazy people who won't go out in bad weather...so if you think of it like that, it makes sense...could have been something he told me to ease my fears, but it always made sense to me after that...