Monday, July 14, 2008

me - a mommy?

Emma will be six months on Thursday and I find myself still wondering when it's going to really hit me that I'm someone's mommy. I mean, sure, there have been moments when I felt "whoa" I have a daughter...holding her at the hospital for the first time, nursing her, dropping her off at day care the first day, missing her when she has been away over night, seeing her smile at me for the first time, hearing her laugh the first time, worrying about her when she hasn't felt well, getting my first "Emma" craft....each time I experience one of these moments I think I've finally felt what it's like to be a parent, but then a new experience occurs and I find myself in amazement all over again.
Emma's day care / school had their annual Mother's Day fashion show today. I really didn't know what to expect, but it was a very well produced event. There was an actual set, with a runway and ropes lining it, with lights and a red carpet, and music. The theme was "Hollywood" and each class dressed in a different theme. The girls in Emma's class were Starletts and the boys dressed as Cowboys. As I sat in my seat waiting for the show to begin I found myself looking around at all of the other parents and thinking back to a time when I would have never imagined myself blocking an hour on my calendar to walk over to the day care to watch my daughter in a fashion show. I haven't been able to stop thinking about the difference in my life.
The old Sabrina seems like a lifetime ago, but I know that isn't so. As I sat in my chair thinking about life before Emma I realized that life without her was pretty empty, and I didn't even know it! I have fallen so hard for this precious little girl, and I never saw it coming. I never understood why parents lived their lives around their children, often sacrificing their existence (okay so that's a little extreme). I am just so amazed at how naturally the change has occurred for me, and I feel like I keep smiling up at Jesus thanking him for making this happen for me.
6 months...gees time sure does fly. I think I'll make a point to block an hour on my calendar more often, just to walk over and watch Emma be Emma, no runway, no lights, no music, no audience...my daughter

No comments: